DIY: Succulent Terrarium




Living in Southern California, I've seen succulents in many gardens and a terrariums being sold for $50+! That's a tad expensive if you ask me, so I thought I'd do a DIY project on this. It's actually the perfect indoor plant if you're not the best at keeping up with watering your plants (like me!) I, myself, do not have a green thumb, but fortunately, succulents do not require much attention. Just make sure to water it once every two weeks and keep it out in the sun every day for at least 6 hours. Let's get started! 

Materials needed:





First we need to find a gar glass, it could come in any sizes and any shapes! The more interesting the shape, the cooler it looks! The one that I used is an apothecary jar, bought right off of amazon. You can also use things like open vases, fish bowls, mason jars, literally any type of glass jar! You'll also need:
  • Sand 
  • Gravel/stone
  • Potting Soil 
  • Cactus/ Pam Mixer 
  • Succulent Plants       
You can find these materials at your local Home Depot or any gardening store!



Now for the fun parts: finding which succulent plants to put in your terrarium. It's important to keep in mind to pick succulent of different textures, color and heights--this adds variety to your garden. I purchased seven different types: (I know, they all have really weird names) 
  • Anacapseros Sunrise
  • Fenestraria Aurantiaca
  • Sedum Rubrotincum
  • Gasteralow 'Green Gold'
  • Baby Toes: Fenestraria Aurantiaca
  • Rain Elephant Bush
  • Portulacaria Afra 'Variegata' 
First step is to lay the gravel/stone on the bottom layer to about an inch. Because we don't have holes to filter out the water, the gravel acts as a settling place for the water so the roots aren't constantly soaked in water. Make sure to level it out. 




Second step is to build an even layer of the cactus mix and potting soil. This layer will be the thickest layer in your terrarium. 


Third, position the plant to the way you want it. The general rule of thumb is putting the taller plants toward what you want the "back" to be then positioning smaller plants toward the center. You can create an even shape with the landscape putting similar looking plant on each edge, this will create symmetry! Then fill up the hollow spaces with more soil.


Last step is to fill the top layer with sand. Another option is to place the top layer with mosses, depends on what look you're going for. I decided to go with sand on top! 



And voila! You've got yourself a succulent terrarium. It's great to experiment with different textures and colors of the plants, so have fun with it! I'm going to place my terrarium on my bedside table, I'm sure it would also look great on a bookshelf or a living room table. Just make sure to water it once every two weeks and give it sun exposure for at least 6 hours everyday. Happy gardening! 

Cheers, 
Tiffany 


No comments :

Post a Comment