Hidden Taste of Myanmar: Mohinga




Located on Rural Drive, Daw Yee Myanmar Cafe opened recently providing a taste of Burma, also known as  Myanmar, for the public to enjoy. This dish called "Mohinga" is made with rice noodles and catfish chowder. This dish is comparable to the well known vietnamese dish, "Pho." You can consider it the "Pho" of Burma, just with a bit more kick to it. Add chili powder, lime, and salty sauce (kind of like soysauce) to however you desire! I like mine spicy and sour. It's traditional to eat it while it's steaming hot, and oddly, with a spoon. Now that I'm older I am realizing that it is sort of strange to eat a noodle soup with a spoon but when I was younger I didn't question it at all. Daw Yee does not disappoint in presenting Burma's national dish. Honestly, I was surprised when this dish was only $5.95--only because I know this dish is not easy to just cook up! I grew up in Burma and having tried these traditional dishes in the country, I was a bit skeptical. But when I tried this at this restaurant here in California, I was instantly reminded of the taste of home.

Posted by : Julia


No comments :

Post a Comment